|Recipes 'n Reads Series|
Guest author Susan Bernhardt
Let's welcome my friend and talented mystery author Susan Bernhardt to our Recipe and Reads series which is scheduled every third Wednesday of the month. Susan shares her favorite recipe and the reasons why she chose this particular one. And Susan has a mystery that is perfect for the Halloween season, The Ginseng Conspiracy. It is one of my favorites in her Kay Driscoll Mystery series.
|Mysteries by Susan Bernhardt|
Thank you for sharing this yummy chocolate dessert with us today!
Thank you so much, J.Q. for inviting me to be on your new blog series, Recipes 'n Reads.
Before you know it, Halloween will be
drawing near...the days will get shorter with a chill in the air. Time for some
hot tea and a thrilling mystery. Curl up with a killer...The Ginseng Conspiracy.
In the Halloween cozy The Ginseng Conspiracy, Kay Driscoll and her friends, the free-spirited herbalist Deirdre and the untamed modern woman Elizabeth, discuss new clues over tea and pastries at Sweet Marissa's Patisserie, their crime-fighting headquarters.
Below is the recipe for Kay's favorite chocolate dessert. She had two pieces of this shockingly rich, chocolate torte at Sweet Marissa's as she agonized over the frightening events that occurred the evening of a Halloween Ball, when she witnessed a murder.
|Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Torte|
I often make this scrumptious Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Torte for dessert.
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups sugar
Pinch of salt 3/4 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, cut into pieces, at room temperature
6 large eggs, at room temperature
1 Tbsp raspberry-flavored liqueur or 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Cocoa powder, for garnish
Raspberries, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Line the bottom of the pan with a round of parchment paper. Butter the paper and the sides of the pan.
2. Combine the chocolate, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process until the chocolate is finely ground. With the processor running, add the boiling water through the feed tube and process for about 15 seconds, until the chocolate is completely melted. Scrape down the sides of the processor bowl, then add the butter and process for about 5 seconds, until the batter is smooth. Add the eggs and Chambord and process until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until the edges of the torte are puffy and cracked and the center is just set (it will still look moist). Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes (the torte will sink as it cools). Cover the pan and refrigerate for 3 hours.
4. Remove the sides of the springform pan and invert the torte onto a flat serving platter. Lift off the bottom of the pan and peel off the parchment paper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to garnish the torte.
5. Sprinkle with cocoa powder and garnish with the raspberries.
* * * *
Like Kay Driscoll, in her cozy mystery, The Ginseng Conspiracy, Susan is a retired public health nurse who volunteers at her local free clinic. She also writes the Irina Curtius mysteries that take place in Manhattan.
|Mystery Author Susan Bernhardt|
|The Ginseng Conspiracy by Susan Bernhardt|
BACK OF THE BOOK:
With her new friends, the free-spirited herbalist Deirdre and the untamed modern woman Elizabeth, Kay discusses new clues over tea and pastries at Sweet Marissa's Patisserie, their crime-fighting headquarters. As Kay gets closer to the heart of the conspiracy, additional murders happen in quick succession. Before long, Kay learns that the villains are gunning for her, too. Phil, her musically talented but preoccupied husband, determined to keep her safe, withholds from her the one thing she needs most: the truth.
LINKS TO SUSAN'S BOOKS
The Ginseng Conspiracy (A Kay Driscoll Mystery Book 1) - https://amzn.to/2DglFzk
Murder Under the Tree (A Kay Driscoll Mystery Book 2) - https://amzn.to/2T9v5C1
Murder by Fireworks (A Kay Driscoll Mystery Book 3) - https://amzn.to/2QClpyl
Paradise Can Be Murder (A Kay Driscoll Mystery Book 4) - https://amzn.to/2DBp0do
Murder Misunderstood (A Kay Driscoll Mystery Book 5) - https://amzn.to/2SWzUCy
The Neighborhood (A Kay Driscoll Mystery Book 6) - https://amzn.to/3RApkKB
A Manhattan Murder Mystery (An Irina Curtius Mystery) - http://amzn.to/2cPlxqq
Dress to Kill (An Irina Curtius Mystery) – https://amzn.to/3kJuzrF
* * * *
|The Rose Courier|
Click here to receive the Rose Courier
delivered quarterly to your inbox.
Filled with photos, updates, new book releases and more!
Click here to be notified when a new article is posted on the J.Q. Rose blog.